Friday, March 31, 2006

Because I am leaving work early, and have been a tad busy, I submit the beginnings of a children's story I started about 3 years back. I had to stop because I was becoming insane with the use of 9 syllables in every line. Although it is my intention to go back to it, hopefully by next week. Of course, I am thinking of illustrating this as well. That should be fun.

The Lonely Spider: A Tale Woven Especially for You

A spider lonely? How could it be?
By reading this tale you just might see.
First, lets begin a long time ago,
So I can relay all that I know.

While walking along a path one day,
my ears heard the whisper “Want to play?”
“Of course,” I said turning around,
But search as I might, nothing was found.

How curious. I thought to myself.
Could it be an invisible elf?
“Hello” I said, “I will play with you.”
Please don’t hide. “What would you like to do?”

But there was no response, nothing said
I waited, listened and then just pled
“Answer now or off to home I’ll go.”
And then came a voice, afraid and low.

“I am here, down here, just by your knee.”
“You are where?” I said with utmost glee.
So look down I did and with surprise,
I found a spider before my eyes.

“You’re a spider, I can’t play with you.”
“Whatever could we possibly do?”
You can’t swim or run or even bat,
We’re different, its as simple as that.”

“Before you saw me, you would have played.”
“You said so yourself, and even stayed.”
“Why has that changed upon seeing me?
“Just be my friend,” the spider did plea.

And so I stood and looked in his eyes.
They were blotchy and then came his cries.
“We are different, but that could be good,
Please be my friend. Do you think you could?”

No comments: