Monday, June 13, 2011

Running and Kids Update

This afternoon for strength training, I decided that the best course of action was to run one mile to the front part of AT&T Park in order to do the exercises, because the likelihood of anyone seeing me from the office was minimal. And it is pretty.


On that grassy field I proceeded to do pushups, triceps dips, step ups, lunges, and sit up after sit up. I also had the audacity to see some guy working out with a kettle ball and thinking him strange. Ah, yeah. I killed myself and was virtual jelly, but still had to run the one mile back to my office. This just goes to show you that the pain of embarrassment from your co-workers looking at you while working out maybe less than that of running a mile after “toning” up. Anyway, I truly doubt I will be able to walk tomorrow.

This weekend we headed to Point Reyes Drake’s Beach which is very lovely, and the kids got their Clam Chowder fix. Of course, Owen napped on the way back home. This is not good for me, because usually on the weekend he does not nap. Meaning 7:15 p.m. bedtime and no yogup (his term for yoga) or talking about our day or me reading to him from my Kindle. Which he now likes me to do as he rests into oblivion. Does reading aloud Wuthering Heights to your child qualify as child abuse? Anyhoo, in an attempt to get him tired we allowed him to ride his bike to the Park Chalet - about 2.5 miles back and forth. He was very excited. Someone not so excited, Maggie. To their credit, Owen and Maggie share pretty well. They take turns picking out what to watch on TV, sharing their toys, etc. But Owen’s bike is Owen’s bike. She can’t use it because she is smaller than him. So the entire time Owen is riding his bike, Maggie is in the stroller screaming “Owen no share the bike!!” “I want the bike!!” “BIIIKKKKEEEEEEEEEE.” There is no reasoning with the two year old in tantrum mode. There is drinking though, thank you Park Chalet. When we finally arrived, Owen got off his bike and Maggie proceeded to grab his helmet, climb on top and stay there pretty much the entire 90 minute visit. Trying to peddle, but not able to because she does not fit on the thing, but that did not stop her happily sitting atop the seat. And then when it was time to go home, Little Miss Crazy threw another tantrum because “Owen no share.”, even though she was on the bike for 90 minutes. I told John to just go with Owen and I would walk her in the stroller another way back. This way she would not be tortured by the sight of a happily riding Owen. But Maggie is a girl that does not give in easily to her Mom’s attempts to distract. Bubbles? “BIKEEEE”. Raisins? “BIIKKEEEE”. She clawed, shook and moved her body so that she was able to get out of her five point harnessed BOB stroller. Houdini has nothing on this kid. She refused to get back into the stroller. So, I got to carry her in my arms all the way home while pushing the BOB and hearing her whispers of bike, bike, bike until one block from the house. Because that is when she decided to go into the stroller with her bubbles. She is insane.

2 comments:

daisy said...

Could you get one of those bike seat things that you put on the back of YOUR bike? My mom had one of those when I was a kid and it scared the living hell out of me, but that's only because I was PRETTY convinced she was trying to kill me. (Don't even get me started on family drives to Yosemite.)

Anyway, maybe she'd like that b/c Owen is too big to fit?

Cassandra McCall said...

I thought of that, but (a) I don't have a bike and (b) I don't want to be responsible for Maggie's face being scarred when we fell (because we would). Of course, if I had a bike like yours, I might possibly reconsider.