Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Eyes Like a Tiger

Two nights ago in a deep sleep I awoke to find our bedroom door ajar with the shiny white of an eye flashing before me. “Owen, is that you?” No answer. I was submerged in the drool phase of sleep and immediately thought this was a dream, all the while fearing my impending murder. “Owen?” No response. John woke up and looked to the door. “Owen?,” we said together. “Are you okay?” This is when he took the door, slammed it and ran back to his room. I stumbled there, to find him on his bed, head buried into the pillow on his knees with his butt saluting the air. This is his usual, “I am mad at you, so leave me alone pose.” “Are you okay?,” I said while rubbing his back. He was asleep in thirty seconds without a word. Maybe it was a bad dream, or sleep walking or any possible number of toddler sleep antics. But if anyone had a right to be mad in this situation, it was me. Being awoken from a coma like sleep to find a pair of hostile mutant midget eyes glaring at you with deep breathes of attitude is not something qualified as a proper wake up technique. And “scared” does not adequately describe my mental state: confusion/non-recognition/fear/recognition/amazement/why-are-you-slamming-the-door-you-are-going-to-wake-your-sister-and-then-I-will-have-to-kill-you/did that just happen? I have read about parents who say nothing is more horrifying than waking to find a pair of tiny eyes staring, and now I completely agree. At least I did not wet the bed.

No comments: