Thursday, May 27, 2010

Equal Footing: The Problem with Sex and The City

Having a vagina at times can be difficult, case in point, the Sex and The City 2 premiere. SATC2 is basically one giant honing device for vaginas making all females powerless in its estrogen fueled aura. Even I as a beer swigging, sports crazed tomboy whose greatest joys are often fantasy football related want to see this movie. When getting coffee this morning, I gazed upon the West Portal Cinema Marquee seeing “Sex and the City 2”. My heart instantaneously leapt, some thing that is usually reserved for Patrick Willis tackles or Tom Brady touchdowns. Why this draw? Why this magnetism? WHY? Fear not, I have finally figured it out. The Sex and the City franchise to women is what Lethal Weapon and Road House is to men. Don’t believe me? Turn on either of those movies in the presence of a heterosexual man and watch as his body and brain furiously focus on the magic of Mel Gibson’s Martin Riggs or rugged awesome of Patrick Swayze’s Dalton. Absolutely helpless are their testosterone riddled minds. This has amazed me for years since there was no female equivalent, until now. Now ladies, we have the Sex and the City franchise. We have our kryptonite in the form of Manalo Blahniks, Cosmopolitans and girl talk. And we are all defeated.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I tried for years to avoid SATC because I thought it was unrealistic for women to be walking around in 5 inch heels all the time, forget that they are $700 5 inch heels....and then I started watching it in syndication and I was hooked. Saw the 1st movie and I can't wait to see this one, even if the 5 inch heels on barely dressed women in the Middle East is even more unrealistic.