Monday, May 05, 2008

Are You There God? Its Me Cassie.

This Saturday while at the library for Owen's lap sit and story time, John got a library card and I got the following Judy Blume books: Are you there God? Its me Margaret?, Deenie and Then Again Maybe I Won't. Why did I get these books? Simply put, nostalgia. I just finished Are You There God today and my, my, my. First of all, on Muni today I was about a tad bit embarrassed that someone would see me reading it, but then I was like they will probably think I am slow. And you know what, I was fine with that. Basically for a book that I read at least five times, nothing but "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" stuck with me. Imagine my horror, when I read about the dreaded sanitary belt. How the heck did I forget that? Not that I really forgot it, but there it was. And I had the same reaction I did then, what the hell do those things look like? Thankfully today there is Google, and a quick search lead to the following:





Yeah. So I would at this moment, like to take the time to thank you to the person who developed the adhesive tape backing for pads. I love you, for there is no way in hell that my clumsy, fumbling teenage person could have ever managed such a contraption without injuring myself in the process. Now on to Deenie! I love a good story about teenage scoliosis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I would get tangled up in that belt somehow. I too thank the genius who invented that adhesive tape, the thin pad so you don't feel like you have a diaper on and the wings (can’t forget the importance of wings).

I’ve been reading lots of books from the young adult section recently. I just finished reading Go Ask Alice which seemed much tamer now than when I read it in junior high.

If you are looking for a good book, you can find “The Book Thief” (and “I am the Messenger”) by Mark Zusak in the young adult section. I thought it was pretty heavy for young adults but an excellent read.

Are you there God? It’s me, Michelle.