Friday, May 26, 2006


Brokeback Mountain was not a good choice of movies for the pregnant, with its aching soundtrack and sad longing love story. Since becoming pregnant I have cried during two Lost episodes and Armageddon, however I did not think this highly unusual because have also cried during Spiderman I (Peter and Mary Jane not being together), the last X-Men (Dr. Jean Gray dying) and during Independence Day (the President's speech). A sap am I, this I know. However, I first watched Brokeback Mountain this summer while in Brooklyn, and it did move me to the point of tears, but if I was to gage it on weepy to full out bawl - it would have ranked a 5. So, I figured I'd have myself a nice little cry, and be a-okay. But last night, the tears started with Jack Twist dying, and ended 20 minutes after I shut the movie off. Full out bawl times 1000. It was that sort of cry that leaves you wasted, wherein your entire body shakes and you can't catch your breath, and you start coughing and throwing up phlegm because you have the worst allergies this side of nerd. I have learned now that under no circumstances am I to watch any movie that will move the normal to tears. For with me it will be doubly effective and cause great emotional upheaval. So no Terms of Endearment, no Champ, no Gone with the Wind, no Milo and Otis, for my heart (and hormones) just can't take it.

No comments: