Thursday, January 26, 2012

Soul Mate - Don't Jinx Yourself

Recently on a blog I read, the writer announced her separation from her husband of ten years. I should have been thinking, “Oh wow”, “That is awful”, and “No freaking way”. Instead I was thinking, “That is what you get when you call someone your soul mate.” Can we all agree that nothing will destroy your relationship eventually than the flagrant foul of calling someone your soul mate? It is a jinx.

Let us visit the definition of a soul: The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. To me, the soul sounds awfully similar to a snowflake, in that every single one is uniquely formed. A perfect mate for a snowflake seems impossible. Yet time and time again, people use soul mate. And surprisingly, not in humor. They actually mean it. I know!

Maybe I am a cold, heartless, dead fish of a person incapable of attaining the enlightenment that is soul mate-yness. (I feel compunction to say ARRGHHH here, so I will. AARRGHHH). But how is it possible for any person to use it seriously. I once knew a girl who dated her “soul mate” 503 times. I know this because instead of referring to these guys with their actual names, I would ask “Where did Soul Mate 152 take you tonight?”

The point is that life is a somersault of good, evil, happy, sad, sober and drunk. Whatever you experience will change you. If you are lucky enough to travel that road with someone hope to god the people you become are fortunate to still love and be kind to each other. The point is that your soul mate of today may not be the soul mate of your future, so stop using the effin term already. However, we with true soul mates are free to carry on.

No comments: