Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Black and Blue (Oprah's Book Club) Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen


My review


rating: 1 of 5 stars
This is what happens when you wander into a subpar bookstore looking for anything to read because you just finished a book and the prospect of being on MUNI bookless is something that you would rather not attempt, because people smell and are sweaty and you need something to take your attention from that. So I got this book, Black and Blue, which was an Oprah Book Club nominee in 1999. Oprah, obviously your tastes are grown, because five pages in I was like - Holy Cow, I am reading a Lifetime movie. This is the story of a nurse wife who flees with her child from her abusive cop husband. Again, LIFETIME!!! I don’t know why I even bothered to finish it, but I blame the fact that sometimes you are pulled into chickdom with a current so strong that any attempt to fight it would result in drowning. So with the flow I went, and jeez, this book is such bad fluff. I don’t recommend it to anyone, and I advise all to enter a bookstore with a plan, or you will find yourself reading 1999 Oprah nominee Lifetime Movie Channel crap.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

MB said...

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I usually force myself to finish books but lately I've decided that life it too short to read bad books when there are so many good ones out there. I picked Black and Blue out of the book box a long time ago and don't think I made it past the first chapter.

I'm about 50/50 when it comes to liking books the almighty "O" recommends.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is one of my recent favorites (it was in the young adult section where I met up with a woman who convinced me to buy Twilight before all the rave reviews). The Book Thief was extremely well written although the subject matter is pretty sad. It is well worth the read.

Check out my Shelfari bookshelf and let me know what you're in the mood to read if you want any recommendations.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518127382